Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Joining the ORGs

One of the most common topics about which I'm asked is networking.  Many aspiring writers, newly published authors, and hopeful new micropress publishers ask me how I got to know so many authors, how I find out what's going on in the industry, and where I go to find people who know their business. The answer is simple:  Professional Writers' Organizations.  No matter your genre, there is a writers' organization made up of professionals whose sole purpose is further their genre and make life better for authors.  As with any organization, you get out of it what you put into it, so don't go in expecting to immediately be handed a contract, agent, and/or award.  But if you're willing to listen to the advice of those who've been there before you, chances are you'll find these organizations to be a rich resource.  Below, I've included links to a few organizations.  Check them out and keep your eyes and ears open.

These are just a few that are out there.  If your genre isn't listed, do a Google search for your genre.  I'm willing to bet you yours will come up.  In addition, all of these groups have regional chapters.  Think of them as a support group of like minded crazy people.  It works.  Trust me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment