Monday, October 11, 2010

Doing What You Love (or: If You Don't Love It, You Only Have Yourself to Blame)

The other day, I was in a social situation (I know...shocking, ain't it?) and overheard a couple fighting about...well...everything.  When the guys all retreated to a local pool hall, the fellow in that relationship did nothing but gripe about his significant other.  I learned later that his girlfriend did the same thing.  It seems the two of them make each other miserable.  It reminded me of another conversation I overheard (yes, I eavesdrop often) in which a person who wants to be a writer told a friend how much she hated writing.  "I'd love to go, but I have to work on this stupid story."  Both conversations hit me in a peculiar way...The first because the guy managed to bring a really dark cloud over an otherwise fine night of beer and billards, and the second because it was hard not to hear her pretentious rant because of the volume of her voice...because of how similar both situations were.  In both cases, the solution was simple, yet the sort of solution that, apparently, few people think of.

If you hate it so much, stop doing it.

Why do people put themselves in positions in which they know they'll be miserable?  Simply put, if you hate the person you're with, find someone else.  If you hate writing so much, quit.  It's that simple.  Here's my thought process:

First off, we (human beings, children of the Goddess, God's creations, beings of light, whatever you want to call us) were not, in my opinion, meant for suffering.  Sure, into every life, a little rain must fall, but that's why we invented umbrellas.  Perhaps we really can only measure the good times if we have something bad to compare them with, but that doesn't mean we must continue to be downtrodden.  There is nothing anywhere that says that you, John Q. Netreader, must spend all your life growing more and more bitter and angry just to keep comfortable.  It is the pursuit of happiness that makes things bearable.

So let's go back to the above conversations, or specifically, the latter one.  If you hate writing, then quit.  It's not worth the struggle, the anguish, the pain, the disappointment, or any other thing to call up such gruesome emotions, no matter what you think you're going to gain from it.  If it makes you miserable, don't do it.  Take up fencing or knitting instead, something that doesn't drive you disrupt a Starbucks by loudly proclaiming that you're a writer, yet you hate doing it.

See, writing is supposed to be fun.  It's a release, a joyful expression of the self.  But mostly, it's a hoot and a half to play God for a little while and see how mean you can be to your characters (ever read a book where nothing bad happens to anyone?  It's boring.).  No one forces you to do it, no one puts a gun to your head and says "You MUST write!" and then flogs you when you don't.  It should be something that you look forward to doing every day, something that you contemplate sneaking time from work to do, something that enflames your passions.  Typing the words "the end" when you know you've written a good story should be equal to the biggest orgasm of your life.  That's what it should be.  The same holds true for relationships.  Why on Earth would anyone stay with someone that makes them feel miserable?  And I'm not siding with either one, as they both seem to do a good job making each other unhappy.  Your life partner, spouse, girlfriend/boyfriend, hetero-life-mate, or whatever, should evoke in you a feeling of warmth and happiness when you see them.

Forgive me if I sound preachy here, but I've been remarkably lucky (blessed, whatever) in my life to find three things that ignite my passions.  The first one (in chronology) was martial arts.  I could train every day, all day, and be happy doing it.  The second one was when my wife came into my life (the second time...The first time I was dating her best friend at the time and that was in Junior High School...nevermind...long story).  Tabatha brings out the best in me, and while I can't say we've never fought or that we don't occasionally get on each other's nerves (sometimes, I go out of my way to get on her nerves...It's called "fun"), I can honestly say that, at the end of the day, I look at her and know that I'm glad she's with me.  She makes me happy, and we share too much happiness for me to even think of looking elsewhere.  The third one is writing.  Oh, sure, I get frustrated with it, and I've been accused of overloading myself, but I enjoy it.  Genuinely.  Enjoy.  It.  I can't picture myself doing anything else for the rest of my life.

So that's it...Either love what you do, or you have only yourself to blame for being miserable.  And by the way, this isn't an open call for people to abandon their families or practice ass-hattery by any means.  What I'm saying is that life is too short to make yourself miserable.  In the words of philosopher, poet, and genious "Weird Al" Yankovic, sometimes you just have to grab life by the lips and yank until your satisfied.  Start yanking.

4 comments:

  1. "See, writing is supposed to be fun. It's a release, a joyful expression of the self. [...] No one forces you to do it, no one puts a gun to your head and says "You MUST write!" and then flogs you when you don't. It should be something that you look forward to doing every day, something that you contemplate sneaking time from work to do, something that enflames your passions."

    This is the jolt I've needed lately; the timing of this is perfect for me. I'll keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "If you hate it so much, stop doing it." I couldn't agree more but to some people I guess being with someone and miserable is better than being alone. I never understood the logic but to each their own.

    "And I'm not siding with either one, as they both seem to do a good job making each other unhappy. Your life partner, spouse, girlfriend/boyfriend, hetero-life-mate, or whatever, should evoke in you a feeling of warmth and happiness when you see them."

    I couldn't have said it better myself sir. It's like we have ESPN or something ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could count the many times I have repeated what you said about doing what makes you happy - not miserable. I too have been blessed in that I found two things I love doing - teaching and writing. And no matter how bad or tired I may feel - when I start doing either of those two things there is a happy dance happening inside of me.
    On more than one occasion I have told people that if they hated what they did to change it. Some actually listened.

    ReplyDelete